Orientation isn’t over now that you’ve completed your first day; it is ongoing.
There are several additional action steps you need to complete as you fully transition into your new role at Fermilab.
Within your first 14 days
- Partner with your manager to identify your initial assignments; the purpose of your work; how it fits into your department or the lab’s overarching mission and goals; and how you can begin making immediate contributions.
- Clarify your schedule, and confirm required and recommended training.
- Set up your personal workspace.
- Review your job description, outline of duties and expectations. Ask how your job fits in the department and how your job and department contribute to the laboratory.
- Discuss your performance goals with your manager.
- Review hours of work. Ask questions about policies and procedures for overtime, use of vacation and sick time, holidays, as well as any flexible work policies or procedures.
- Make an appointment with the Benefits Office if necessary for answers to questions on benefits, retirement and important deadlines. Review additional laboratory policies.
- Sign up for a laboratory tour.
- Ask your manager about:
- employee key(s) and building access card.
- department-specific safety and emergency information.
- how to get additional supplies.
- your computer and setting up voicemail.
Health and retirement benefits
Fermi Research Alliance (FRA) offers a comprehensive benefits program to help ensure one of our greatest resources — our employees — feel valued and achieve personal, professional and financial goals. Within the first 31 days of your employment at Fermilab, you should enroll yourself and eligible dependents in FRA’s health benefits plans.
Take action: Steps to enroll in FRA health benefits
- Review information about FRA health, life and dental plans. Key information about our benefits plans can be found on the benefits website.
- Choose your plan.
- Once you have reviewed the information and are ready to enroll, access your personal benefits portal by navigating to the upper right corner of the benefits site. Hover your mouse over “My Benefits” to select a login option. Once you are finished enrolling, be sure to print your confirmation statement. You have 31 days from your hire date to complete this process. You and your dependents are not covered by any of Fermilab’s health benefits plans until you enroll. If you do not elect your health benefits within 31 days of your hire date, you will automatically be assigned limited benefits for yourself only, until the next annual open enrollment period or unless you have a qualified life event change.
- Provide documentation of your dependents. You have 31 days from the date you add a family member to your health and life benefits coverage to submit documentation that confirms they are eligible for coverage. Fermilab will mail you a request for the documents that includes instructions on how to submit them. If you do not submit documentation by the deadline, your dependent’s enrollment is canceled and they will not be covered prospectively until you send in the documentation.
Need help? Contact our Benefits staff.
Staggered Orientation Sessions
You will be required to complete the following orientation sessions:
Complete within one month of start date.
Cultural intelligence is the willingness to understand, appreciate, and communicate with people from different cultures. Fermilab’s workforce and collaborations span the globe. Organizational and cross-cultural awareness are critical to mission success. This session unpacks why diversity and inclusion matter to the lab’s workforce and how the Statement of Fermilab Community Standards guides our organizational culture.
FY19 – Dates coming soon.
Complete within three months of start date.
HR Partners/Directorate Representative
Complete within six months of start date.